Total Pageviews

Monday, 17 February 2014

Two Rainbows for Sunday

The rainbow shawl continues.  I'm just hoping I have enough yarn to finish this.

I've been knitting up a lilac colour tonight and was then planning on putting the deep purple (same as the start of the shawl) on the end.  However, I don't think that will take me to the end of the pattern, so today I plied up some more purple which is sort of halfway between the lilac and the deep purple.  Fingers crossed that that will be enough to finish.  I'm finding that as I get closer to the end of the yarn, I'm knitting faster!  Makes sense eh?  If I knit really really fast the yarn will go further and last longer!!

The 2nd rainbow is really two.  We had a little shower this afternoon and were left with this double rainbow afterwards :-

The second one is only just visible here.  And a more dramatic one showing the colours a bit better :-

I do love rainbows, don't you?

Yesterday we went shopping.  All the usual mundane groceries etc., but we also looked around the local depot ventes (French sale rooms) trying to find a second-hand window for our new kitchen.  We didn't find a window, but we did find this :-

For all those non-yarnies among you, this is a skein winder - perfect for winding off my hand-spun wool from the bobbins.  The most amazing thing was that it was Eric who found it . . . and knew what it was!! 

It even has a rev (revolution) counter on it!!  You see this little ratchet wheel?

When the handle at the front is turned, the wheel moves round one slot per revolution, and when it gets to 45 a little knob clicks past the upright stick so you know how many wraps of yarn there are on the winder.  It helps work out how many yards of wool there are in each skein.

At 20 euros, this was an incredible bargain.  It's had a bit of woodworm by the looks of it, but we'll give it a spray tomorrow and then I need to get some beeswax on there.


The little lamb who was limping so badly last week while she was here is getting better. Rob and Tammy took her to the vet who said she has polyarthritis, and that's treatable. She's having antibiotics every day and they're very hopeful she'll be sorted out soon. Since going home she's been running around the field playing with the other lambs.  She can't keep up with them yet, but that doesn't stop her from trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment