Total Pageviews

Monday, 17 July 2017

TdF Multi-Ply Challenge

Before I start, let me warn you that this post is very heavy in photographs.  It seemed necessary though to explain exactly what I did to create this yarn, but I won't be offended if you scroll down to the end instead of reading every painstaking step!

During week 2 of the TdF, our team (DIY and Dye) proposed a side challenge of making a multi-ply yarn which I just couldn't resist!  So, I started by spinning two singles (z-spun - clockwise).  I picked out a large bag of World of Wool Botany Lap Waste and selected this for the first ply :-




























I spun it fairly finely because I'm aiming to get as many plies as I can without it getting too fat.













The second bobbin was made up of various yellows and whites with a bit of shocking pink for emphasis.


The two singles ready for plying :-








These two were "s" (anti-clockwise) plied together to make a 2-ply yarn.







Next up, I chose some red merino top which was spun in the "s" direction.

This single was then z-plied with the first bobbin, giving three plies.  I made this into a centre-pull ball :-


and plied it back on itself ("s" ply) to give 6 plies in total.








Then a chunk of grey Botany Lap Waste became a thick and thin, "s" spun single.


























Then it was ply time again!  The ever-thickening main yarn was plied with the grey ("z" plied) with the thick bits of the grey yarn being "granny stacked" over the main yarn.  This means it was spun in a disorganised "clump" on top of the yarn giving a sort of "nub".  By now we had 7 plies.



Again, I made a centre-pull ball and plied it back on itself in the "s" direction.  I now had 14 plies.


The last addition to this never-ending project (or it felt like it anyway!) was a leftover ball of blue singles from a previous spin.  I have no idea what this is, but it was probably a bit of single left on a bobbin after plying with another bobbin.

This was plied with the main yarn again in the "z" direction.  The blue single had also been spun "z" so it got a bit tighter as it was plied.  Now up to 15 plies and my Aura was visibly struggling to take the yarn in.  I'd tightened the tension on the black band as much as it would go and it still wasn't enough.  I think that's when I realised just how much this band had relaxed since I first got the wheel. Initially, even on the loosest tension possible, it was grabbing the yarn out of my hands as I spun.  It was very difficult to spin normally for a while.  Anyway, I moved  the mother of all to a higher position, which had the effect of tightening the black band again and all was well.

Finally, I re-plied with the same blue single ("s" direction) and called it done.  My total was 16 plies.


After its bath today, it weighs 130g, measures 20 yards/19 metres, and is 4 wraps per inch!


Friday, 14 July 2017

Cotswold Slub

During Week 2 of the DIY and Dye Group's Tour de Fleece journey, we had more challenges to choose from as normal.  I chose to do an art yarn with my olive leaf dyed Cotswold fleece that I wrote about here.

I spun a bobbin of the fleece that I'd carded before TdF started,


made it into a centre-pull ball and plied from both ends together, at the same time inserting "bits" of pulled fleece between the two plies.  I used some merino that I'd dyed in previous years for TdF :-



Top left was dyed with blood peaches from the tree in my garden (blood peaches are bright red all the way through to the stone), top right was logwood chips, bottom left was with madder, and I forget what the green was!



The plying was pretty slow, but worked together well.



The finished skein weighed just over 100g giving me 199 yards/184 metres.  

Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Tour de Fleece 2017

Well, here we are in July again and the Tour de Fleece has started once more.  It seems to come around faster each year . . . must be an age thing.

This year for our (Team DIY and Dye) week one challenge I chose to spin a rainbow again.  This time though I've used acid dyes and spun each colour  individually.  This is merino from Maco Merinos which is really soft after spinning.

"Red"


I started with red (although I couldn't seem to get it deep enough to actually call it red - it's more of a pink!) and progressed through to violet.  I only have a six colour rainbow as I ran out of time to do the seventh.  The deep blue is missing; I may do it after TdF finishes, just for completeness, but I think it looks OK as is.

Orange


Yellow

Weird green


Blue


Final rainbow, including violet

My plan for this is to spin some black alpaca given to me by my friend Sarah and knit it up into a kind of "stained glass" effect, possibly a scarf.  I only have about 20g of each colour as I lost about a third in wastage. All but two of these skeins was dyed as fleece and I always seem to have trouble with tangling afterwards.  I much prefer to spin from raw, unwashed fleece and then dye the yarn.  The blue and violet were done that way and I have maybe 25g of each of those - much less preparation waste.

The second week's challenge I have chosen is art yarn.  I'll be using some of the Cotswold I've already dyed and carded for this, so week 2 should be a doddle!  (I had to do all the preparation of the above merino as we went along - not organised as usual).