Total Pageviews

Saturday 28 April 2012

Breakthrough

Yesterday (Friday) I had my most favourite lunch in the whole world - boiled eggs and toast fingers (soldiers . . . although we used to call them piggy fingers!)  This was the first time I'd been able to eat this meal for the last six months, because that's the length of time I've been unable to eat bread.

After numerous little experiments, I realised it was the yeast that was affecting me and making me feel so ill.  The only way round this has been to make tortillas and plain scones and have those instead.  But it just didn't taste right with boiled eggs.

Then, about a month ago, a friend of ours sent me some kefir grains (they actually look like little cauliflower florets, but they're soft) which you put into milk for 24 hours at a time to make a cultured drink.  I didn't really like to have so much milk though, so I started putting mine in soya milk every alternate day and that was much better.  It ends up a bit like thin yoghourt with a bit of a fizz and a tangy taste.

The other day I was lying in bed, thinking.  It suddenly occurred to me that maybe I could use this in home made bread to make it rise.  So I Googled the question, and sure enough found quite a number of recipes on the internet.  I picked a really easy one and had a go.  You can see the result here :-


Yes, that's bread, real bread.  It's very like sourdough, with a delicious nutty taste.


Bon appétit!


So how was your day?

Just when you thought it was safe to read my blog and not be bombarded with silkworm photos, have a look at these.  Aren't they growing fast?  They only have one more skin change to go before they begin to make cocoons and they're eating like crazy.


Remember when they first hatched and they just about measured 2mm?  Well they're now almost 5cm.  Not bad in 19 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment