Total Pageviews

Wednesday 25 May 2011

New Pasta Recipe

Developed yet another new pasta recipe today.  Whenever I ask Eric what he would like for lunch/dinner, I can almost guarantee he'll say "pasta".  Since I get a bit fed up with his usual favourites of pesto or tomato, I occasionally dream up something a bit different.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Today, I really wanted something tasty and fresh, not cheesy or stodgy.  I consulted my pasta bible, but all the recipes I might have made needed at least 2 ingredients that I didn't have.  So, I visited the fridge and found asparagus and fresh rocket, then visited the food cupboard and took out a small jar of tomato puree (bottled last year from our own tomatoes), then visited the herb garden and came back with a handful of fresh, green, flavourful leaves.  This is what emerged:-

 SPAGHETTI WITH HERBS AND ASPARAGUS


Ingredients :


Spaghetti
Olive Oil
Whole garlic cloves (halved if large) - I used a whole bulb as we have so much
Handful of fresh chopped herbs (i.e. thyme, marjoram, sage, rosemary)
Fresh aparagus tips (about 6 per person)
Small jar tomato puree
Salt and black pepper
Fresh rocket, roughly chopped
Fresh Parmesan, finely grated


Method :


Saute garlic in oil over a medium heat.  Meanwhile, cook asparagus in pasta water for about 8-10 mins, then remove with a slotted spoon.  Bring water back to the boil and add spaghetti.  Cook for recommended time.

When garlic is soft and just taking on a bit of colour, add herbs and asparagus and stir well over a low heat.  Pour in tomato puree and heat through.  Season with salt and black pepper.

When pasta is ready, stir rocket into the sauce.  Serve on top of the spaghetti and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan.


The flavours were actually very complimentary - think this is one of my more successful recipes.  Sorry no photos . . . we ate it!

1 comment: