Total Pageviews

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Cotton Update

My cotton plants have grown pretty well so far.  We have had some good, hot weather, but really they were just planted too late.  However, today I found a flower (at least I think it's a flower).  It probably won't develop into anything as it's starting to cool down now, but I'm pretty sure it is a flower.


This has actually given me hope that next year I can grow cotton!  If it's sown a lot earlier, and protected, I think I should be able to grow my own.

My new greenhouse will help towards that end.  Work started this week on my greenhouse.  We had been waiting for the visit of my sister and brother-in-law to start the work, because Geoff used to be a welder in his previous life, and we needed welding!



These photos show one of the roof panels being lowered into place.  It's still far from completion, but at least it's started.  I have high hopes of being able to start things off in there in the late autumn.

3 comments:

  1. I've had the same thing with my attempts at cotton this year... I was late getting the plants started and just when things are beginning to look interesting, it's about to get a lot colder! Oh well, there's always next year!

    Your greenhouse looks amazing! Like a cross between a greenhouse and a polytunnel. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it the darker colour cotton you've grown? That looked really interesting, I've never seen that shade before.

    The greenhouse is going to be pretty big (the old swimming pool was 15m x 7m), but we're only doing half of it as a greenhouse, the rest will have a solid roof and be used as storage for pots etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was the darker colour, I think it should come out a kind of pale brown but I'll probably have to have another go next year. Hopefully I'll still be able to use my friend's allotment greenhouse, otherwise it'll struggle in the Cumbrian climate!

    Your greenhouse/storage area will be a lovely spot once it's done! :)

    ReplyDelete