Total Pageviews

Saturday 9 March 2019

Another Rabbit Hole??

After 30 years of spinning on wheels, I thought I was a pretty good (well not bad anyway) spinner.  I've tackled most fibres, spun directly from the fleece, in the grease, cotton isn't a problem for me now . . . so why the heck, when I decided to buy a drop spindle to take on an impending holiday, am I having so much trouble?


I thought, if you're going to get a drop spindle, get a fairly decent one.  So I chose a beautifully made spindle by Enid Ashcroft in the UK.  She has a Ravelry group dedicated to her spindles, and an Etsy shop here.  If you're at all interested in any type of spindle, check her out, she has some fabulous ones.


This one is made from yew, walnut, sapele and brass and weighs only 20g.  She sends her spindles all over the world and has a very good reputation.

So, should have been easy yes?  Well, no, I actually feel like a brand new spinner rather than someone who's been spinning for such a long time.  I'm having a real struggle getting the spindle to spin for any length of time (probably my own clumsiness), and have proved to myself on numerous occasions how this actually got its name ("drop" spindle?).  After struggling along for a few days, I can report a bit of improvement, but I still have a way to go.

I'm determined to get this, but I'm not sure I'll be investing in any more spindles.  It will come in useful on our holiday, but I think at home I'm firmly glued to my spinning wheels.  Pity, because I really have my eye on a gorgeous little "midge" she has in her shop!!

I did notice when I visited her Ravelry group that people had an awful lot of her spindles. They seem to breed prolifically and produce copious amounts of offspring.  Maybe it's best if I don't manage to get on with this spindle eh?



No comments:

Post a Comment