Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 February 2014

There'll Be a Rainbow in a Minute

I've got a new project.  OK, so I know I said I wouldn't have another project until the baby blanket was finished.  Well, I lied!  This one is something for meeeeee.  And anyway, I'm still working on the baby blanket alongside this, so it's not abandoned by any means.

Remember in the summer, when I took part in the Tour de Fleece on Ravelry?  I dyed, and spun a rainbow yarn, all done with natural dyes, most of them from my garden or the surrounding area.


































This is from a really nice Falkland fleece (which arrived direct from the Falkland Islands) and was spun in a sort of gradient (I say "sort of" because I'd never done a gradient before and under-estimated how much I should overlap the two colours).  Then I Navajo-plyed it, which made the overlap even shorter.  Anyway, next time I'll pay more attention to that.

On 7th February, the Sochi winter olympic games started.  Well, I'm sure you won't be surprised when I tell you that Ravelry have an equivalent event running alongside it (just like the Tour de France).  This is the first time I've joined in with the Ravellenic Games, and decided to start off with a bit of knitting.  After all the controversy that's being going on in Sochi, the rainbow yarn seemed somehow appropriate.  I'm making a side-to-side gradient shawl - the Now in a Minute shawl - which is a free pattern on Ravelry.  This is what it looked like this morning :-


but I've since done some more and it's gone into the next colour, which is a green.  I can't photograph it until tomorrow as I never get a good result from my camera under artificial lights.

I'm really excited to see how this turns out because I loved all the colours when I was dyeing it, and the wool is gorgeously soft - an anticipated hug around my neck!

No comments:

Post a Comment